This guidance is only for births where, following discussion with the parents, active survival focused care is not appropriate. For decision making relating to perinatal care and preterm delivery see BAPM framework for practice on perinatal management of extreme preterm birth before 27 weeks of gestation.
Births included in this guidance
- In-hospital spontaneous births <22+0 weeks
- In-hospital spontaneous births at 22+0 to 23+6 weeks where, following discussion and agreement with parents, active survival-focused care is not appropriate
- The same principles also apply to pre-hospital spontaneous births <22+0 weeks—see BAPM framework for practice on pre-hospital management of the baby born at extreme preterm gestation.
Births not included in this guidance
- Medical terminations of pregnancy
- Spontaneous births of uncertain gestation
- Spontaneous births at 22+0 to 23+6 weeks of gestation where initiation of active survival-focused neonatal care is planned or uncertain
- Read the clinical guidance
- See a visual summary of the guidance
- Read a summary for parents and families
- Download the clinical guidance (PDF)
- Download a visual summary of the guidance (PDF)
- Download a summary for parents and families (PDF)
For enquiries about this resource, please contact email@example.com.